Russia is home to a lot of volcanoes which is something that I wasn't aware of. I am not surprised at all considering how large the territory is. According to my sources, there are 160 volcanoes with 29 active ones on the Kamchatka Peninsula. It isn't part of the ring of fire for nothing. The other 11 volcanoes of Russia are due to hot spots and do not appear to be active. On the Kamchatka Peninsula Russia created a task force to monitor its many volcanoes due to the high activity in this region and the potential for them to not only disrupt and harm the people living on the island but effect planes using the airspace miles away from the eruption. This task force is called Kamchatkan Volcanic Eruption Response Team (KVERT) and uses a variety of techniques to be aware of impending eruptions. One is through seismic monitoring which is said to be the most effective. Another is the low-tech tried and true visual observation. A similar approach but a lot more sophisticated is using satellite imagery which is also important after the eruption for it allows information on the size and movement of the dangerous ash cloud to be discovered. Once a volcano is decided to be near or at eruption, warnings are sent out to various groups as soon as possible to allow for optimal preparation time.
ππππππππππππππππππππππππππππππππππππππ
Works Cited
"Kamchatka Volcanic Eruption Response Team." ΠΠ°ΠΌΡΠ°ΡΡΠΊΠΈΠΉ ΠΠ°ΡΡΠ½ΡΠΉ Π¦Π΅Π½ΡΡ ΠΠΠ Π ΠΠ. N.p., n.d. Web.
The Kamchatkan Volcanic Eruption Response Team (KVERT) Fact Sheet. N.p., n.d. Web.
Klemetti, Erik. "Russia Nixes Kamchatka and Kuril Island Volcano Monitoring." Wired. Conde Nast, 04 June 2017. Web.
"List of Volcanoes in Russia." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 30 July 2017. Web.
"Posts about Kamchatka Volcanoes on Voices from Russia." Voices from Russia. N.p., 18 Oct. 2003. Web.
Williams, Amanda. "Mount Mordor of Russia: Erupting Volcano Looks like a Scene from The Lord of the Rings." Daily Mail Online. Associated Newspapers, 03 Dec. 2013. Web.



Wow! This is such an impressively thorough post. I never realized how much volcanic activity Russia experiences, especially with all those active volcanos! It's great to know they are ready for impending disasters with response teams as well. My country, Switzerland, does not have any active volcanos near, but have experienced effects of distant volcanoes from time to time and have yet to put together any kind of response system. Interesting research, it was awesome reading your post!
ReplyDeleteJaimes your words are kind and encouraging. Much appreciated! Yeah I never really associated Volcanoes with Russia. It's wild his many are jam packed in such a small peninsula. Apprently there are a few that have been erupting since 2016. They just continuously spout lava I presume. I agree, it would be terribley irresponsible for the government to leave the people living in this region with no support with activity detection. This group also sends information to other countries who are affected by ash clouds which sounds like what your country deals with. I think who ever has these volcanoes in their land should do something similar for Switzerland. Thanks again!
ReplyDeleteGreat research about volcanoes in your country. I actually experienced the effects of one a few years back while flying from the US towards Japan...in the middle of the flight we had to turn around and land on Alaska as the ash cloud was too dangerous for the plane turbines...pretty intense. Those volcanoes are explosive and can be really dangerous..it seems the local population is ready and educated to deal with warnings etc., so that is good.
ReplyDeleteYou might have seen this, but I saw recently they found signs of an Ancient Volcanic Eruption from that area all the way in Norway, 3,000 Miles Away...see link below.
http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/ksudach-volcano-russia-svalbard-ash
Thank you! Yeah that sounds pretty intense and inconvenient. Alaska sounds like an interesting place to visit but maybe not so much in that scenario. Good that the plan realized that it couldn't continue the trip. I actually haven't but will check that out. That is an insane distance to travel so I can only imagine the ferocity it erupted with.
ReplyDelete